About meI am an engineer and tech leader, with a passion for machine learning and distributed systems. In February 2021, I joined Onfido as a Director of Applied Science. We use machine learning and computer vision to provide identity verification services on the internet.
Before that, I led the product recommendation team at Criteo and the embedded image processing team at Thales Optronics. I graduated from MIT with a PhD in robotics/computer vision in 2010, under the supervision of prof. Seth Teller. I am a reviewer for NeurIPS, ICML and ICLR.
Contact infoYou can find me on Medium, Twitter, Google scholar, LinkedIn. You can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In 2018, I led a complete redesign of the Criteo recommendation engine using representation learning, at the scale of billions of users and millions of items. We tripled the sales uplift of the product and delivered multiple million dollars in incremental revenue for the company. Read our arxiv paper.
- In 2006-2007, I was a core member of the MIT DARPA Challenge Team. We developed one of the first self-driving cars and reached fourth place in Finale (only six teams out of several dozens made it to the Finale). We published our design at IJFR'08. A defining chapter of my career!
- In 2005-2010, during my PhD years, I built end-to-end, real-time vision-based systems for navigation assistants under the supervision of Prof. Seth Teller. This work was published at CVPR'07, ICCV'09 and ICRA'10.
- Why hackathons fail and what you can do about it, Sept 2021
- The tradeoffs of large-scale machine learning: the price of time, May 2020
- Your first 90 days as a tech lead, Feb 2020
- Making your company machine learning-centric, June 2019
- Lightweight representation learning for efficient and scalable recommendation, arxiv:2101.00870v2, Nov 2021
- Ground robot navigation using uncalibrated cameras, ICRA 2010
- Body-relative navigation guidance using uncalibrated cameras, ICCV 2009
- A perception-driven autonomous urban vehicle, IJFR 2008
- Wide-area egomotion estimation from known 3d structure, CVPR 2007
- No filter: the inside story of Instragram. A true story written like a thriller.
- In the Company of Giants: Candid Conversations with the Visionaries of the Digital World. Remarkable interviews of sixteen titans of the tech industry. Published in 1997. A jewel to read in the hindsight.
- Trillion Dollar Coach: The Leadership Playbook of Silicon Valley's Bill Campbell. The unknwown life of the man behind the success of Steve Jobs, Larry Page and Eric Schmidt.
- The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business. A powerful guide to your habits and the ones of others.
- Thinking, Fast and Slow. This book will change the way you think about thinking.
- Freakonomics: Revised Edition. Why you should not be surprised by things you found surprising.
- The Manager's Path: A Guide for Tech Leaders Navigating Growth and Change. A must-read if you're wondering whether you should be a manager.
- The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable
- Monetizing Innovation: How Smart Companies Design the Product Around the Price
- The Intelligent Investor. A must-read for investors, and why you will always do worse than unmanaged indices on the stock market.
- Mindset. How a simple idea about the brain can be the basis for great accomplishment. Praised by Satya Nadella as an inspiration for his company's culture change.